An Eye for Design. A Vision for the Future.
These days, digital media touches almost every aspect of our daily lives. Whether you’re catching a movie on the big screen or sneaking a viral video on YouTube, digital media is on display — and in demand – virtually everywhere. Likewise, for the people that create it.
If you’re ready to turn your artistic vision into an ambitious vocation, a degree in Digital Media might be for you.
Golden West College’s Digital Media program was developed in response to the needs of local industry experts, and prepares students for careers in the ever-evolving fields of digital media production, audio engineering, audio technologies, web design, web development, graphics and multi-media communications. Coursework in this program emphasizes critical thinking, written communication, and teamwork skills.
Classes are taught by industry veterans with decades of experience and are scheduled conveniently with working students in mind. In 2018, Golden West’s Digital Media program earned a Strong Workforce Bronze Star from the California Community College Chancellor’s Office for the exceptionally high number of GWC Digital Media graduates who find work within the field.
In fact, according to a survey of Los Angeles and Orange County Digital Media and Information Technology graduates, 81% of respondents reported finding a job in six months or less. Talk about turning passions into paychecks!
Digital Media Degrees & Certificates
Golden West College’s Digital Media program gives students the practical skills necessary to launch a cutting-edge career in video production, editing, animation, game design, and much more. Currently, GWC offers one Associate in Arts (AA) degree and five career Certificates:
- Digital Media – Associate in Arts (AA) degree:
Students get an opportunity to gain fundamental skills in audio engineering, audio technologies, video production, gaming, animations, and graphics while using the latest hardware and software technologies in a project-based, hands-on environment.
- Digital Media – Certificate of Achievement:
This program gives students a basic understanding of digital media tools and concepts while preparing them for entry-level jobs in multimedia industry and upper division courses in Digital Media.
- Digital Media: Audio Recording – Certificate of Specialization:
Students in this discipline learn how to create, mix, and record media projects using MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) software while developing a digital portfolio of mastered sound recordings. Graduates are prepared for entry-level jobs in Audio Engineering, as well as upper-division courses in Digital Media.
- Digital Media: Video Editing – Certificate of Specialization:
Students gain a basic understanding of editing principles while completing two short, hands-on projects that prepare them for jobs as an Assistant Editor, or a Digital Imaging Technician or Editor. As part of the specialization, students are able to obtain valuable industry certification in Adobe Premier and AVID Media Composer.
- Digital Media: Video Production – Certificate of Specialization:
This certificate is designed for the student seeking a career as a working professional in the digital media industry and gives students the skills necessary to plan and facilitate studio- and field-based video production. Internship opportunities exist for these students in both commercial and noncommercial video production venues.
- Digital Media: Social Media Content Creation Technician – Certificate of Completion:
In this unique program, students will learn to create content for distribution on a variety of social media and live streaming platforms, produce and create posts for a blog, launch and maintain a YouTube channel, and more.
Why Golden West College?
- This department provides many opportunities to achieve industry certification, in high-demand applications like Adobe Creative Suite, SSL, AVID, Pro Tools and Sibelius
- Graduates of GWC’s Digital Media program report a 100% employment rate within the field. This outcomes earned the program a Strong Workforce Bronze Star from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office in 2018.
- Golden West Cares! GWC is an energetic and welcoming community of learning, committed to supporting your higher education aspirations. Learn more about Golden West College’s student services and support resources by clicking here.
Golden Opportunities in Digital Media
According to the U.S. Department of Labor and Statistics, jobs for digital film and audio editors pay an average of $58,000 per year, with demand projected to grow by 13% — twice the national average — by 2026.
Golden West College Digital Media program graduates are in demand, commanding higher-than-average wages in these careers and more!
- Audio Editor
- Audio Engineering Assistant
- Audio & Video Equipment Technicians
- Camera Equipment Repairers
- Camera Operators
- Content Creator
- Creative Director
- Desktop Publishers
- Digital Media Specialist
- Film & Video Editor
- Graphic Designer
- Media & Communications Specialists
- Multimedia Artist or Animator
- Online Producer
- Social Media Specialist
- Sound Equipment Operators
- Web Designer
Affording the Opportunity
Golden West College is proud to provide excellent-quality Career Education at a low cost. Our goal is to remain accessible to ALL community members seeking to enrich their future.
Tuition: $46 per unit for California residents.
Information on College Service Charge and additional fees available at:
Accolades for Golden West College Digital Media
GWC’s Digital Media program earned a Strong Workforce Bronze Star from the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office for its staggering 100% relevant employment rate amongst graduates.
Future BUILT Support
Golden West College is committed to providing students with affordable, accessible Career Education pathways, along with responsive staff to assist and guide you on your way!
- Career and Employment Center:
GWC’s Career Center is a hub for services related to the career development needs of students and the general public. Our friendly staff can assist you in exploring career fields with a comprehensive library of up-to-date, computerized and published resources.
- Learning Resource Center:
Featuring facilities and materials for general assistance in math, reading, writing, and more, GWC’s Learning Resource Center is a one-stop destination for student support. Take advantage of tutoring services, computer lab access, library resources, and more!
- Special Programs:
Golden West hosts a variety of career-oriented programs and services, including CalWORKS, Cooperative Work Experience (CWE), and many others.
- Advising and Counseling:
Make sure you’re in the right classes… and on the right course! GWC’s Planning and Guidance Services cover a broad range of student needs, including degree advising, career counseling, and transfer assistance.
- Special Programs:
Golden West College is committed to assisting our underserved and challenged students in any way possible. GWC offers specific resources for DACA students, Former Foster Youth, students requiring Basic Needs Assistance, and more.
Gainful Employment Information
For more information regarding the Digital Media program costs and employment outcome averages, click here.
Program Learning Outcomes
Audio Recording Certificate of Specialization :
- Create and record a project using MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) sequencing and software instruments.
- Create a mix and perform the proper steps to produce a final product for various digital media.
- Set up a complex microphone array (24 tracks) for a band and record digital signals in a tracking session.
- Produce a digital portfolio comprised of sound recordings, mixed, and mastered.
Digital Media Associate in Arts :
- Produce professional audio recordings
- Produce professional digital video recordings.
- Design and build multi-user web based applications.
- Edit audio, video and graphic content in a digital environment.
Digital Media Certificate of Achievement :
- Produce professional audio recordings.
- Produce professional digital video recordings.
- Design and build multi-user web-based applications.
- Edit audio, video and graphic art content in a digital environment.
- Research, write and produce content for production in variety of digital media formats
Social Media Content Creation Technician Certificate of Completion :
- The successful student will be able to create content for distribution on a variety of social media platforms.
- Produce and post a blog, setup and maintain a YouTube channel based on a social media strategy developed by a marketing professional.
- Able to create content using social media live stream features.
Video Editing Certificate of Specialization :
- Identify and describe three advanced editing principles and practices
- Apply advanced editing principles in editing of a narrative sequence.
- Apply advanced editing principles in editing of a three to five minute dialogue sequence.
Video Production Certificate of Specialization :
- Develop solid base in the theory and technology skills required for professional careers in digital media industries.
- Acquire real world, hands on experiences in basic software and hardware tools utilized in digital media production.
- Develop interpersonal skills and professional demeanor that will enable students to work effectively and cooperatively as team players on collaborative projects.
- Generate creative solutions to challenging assignments, demonstrating a clear understanding of project needs and technological demands.
Average Salary in this Field
California Community College Strong Workforce Star Recipient
Careers in this Field
Ready to Get Started?
Orange County industry depends on Future BUILT professionals with the next-level knowledge and skills learned in Golden West College’s Career Education programs.
Apply today, and start building your bolder future!
I had great professors who genuinely wanted me to succeed. GWC gave me the tools I needed to graduate in Cosmetology, and inspired me to help others too.
Amanda, Cosmetology Program Graduate
Golden West is a genuine place, everyone feels like family here. The professors and counselors have been supportive too, they talk to you and help you with support and guidance.
James, Rustler Football Athlete and Psychology Major
GWC has a great nursing facility, with mannequins and various opportunities to perform simulations. The counseling services, financial assistance and additional scholarship options are also impressive.
Eden, School of Nursing Student
When I first came to Golden West I was unsure of myself and a little overwhelmed. It has since become my second home.
Frankie, History Major
Golden West provides so many opportunities for success, from access to professors and office hours, the free tutoring center and student services, and ways to get involved on campus.
Erin, Liberal Arts and Sciences Major